THE HONEST BROKER: CREATING FLORIDA FRIENDLY LANDSCAPES
BY: DIANE LOTT, BROKER PARADISE FOUND REALTY, INC.
When sprucing up the “hardscape/landscaping of a property it is important to take into consideration the following 9 key principles: right plant & place, water, fertilizer, mulch, attraction to wildlife in the area, yard pests, recycling, storm water runoff, protection of nearby waterways.
1) Right Plant, Right Place: Plants selected to suit a specific site will require minimal amounts of water, fertilizers and pesticides.
2) Water Efficiently: Irrigate only when your lawn needs water. Efficient watering is the key to a healthy yard and conservation of limited resources.
3) Fertilize Appropriately: Less is often best. Over-use of fertilizers can be hazardous to your yard and the environment.
4) Mulch: Maintain two to three inches of mulch to help retain soil moisture, prevent erosion and suppress weeds.
5) Attract Wildlife: Plants in your yard that provide food, water and shelter can conserve Florida’s diverse wildlife.
6) Manage Yard Pests Responsibly: Unwise use of pesticides can harm people, pets, beneficial organisms and the environment.
7) Recycle: Grass clippings, leaves and yard trimmings composted and recycled on site provide nutrients to the soil and reduce waste disposal.
8) Reduce Storm water Runoff: Water running off your yard can carry pollutants, such as fertilizer, pesticides, soil and debris that can harm water quality. Reduction of this runoff will help prevent pollution.
9) Protect the Waterfront: Waterfront property, whether on a river, stream, pond, bay or beach, is very fragile and should be carefully protected to maintain freshwater and marine ecosystems.
Have fun with it and enjoy the process. It can be a great family project and add a new look to the
front and back yards. It will also increase curb appeal while being environmentally conscientious.
Diane Lott, Broker
Owner: Paradise Found Realty
Paradise Found Realty, Inc. of Palm City
Your concierge real estate company. We come to you!!
back to www.treasurecoast.com