Bacteria Infection, Cellulitis, Contracted from Local Water

Bacteria Infection, Cellulitis,  Contracted from Local Water

By Vince Grindle

My name is Vince. 2 weeks ago I was hunting in port st lucie with a couple of friends and waded down into the brackish water in one of the canals leading to the Indian River Lagoon. Having grown up here on these lands and these waters, I didn't think twice about what was in the water.

I'm not referring to animals, but toxins, pesticides and probably many other things. This is what was in that water and what it did to me after being around it my whole life. I've never seen this. The bacteria and other things in the water caused me to contract a severe bacteria infection called cellulitis in which I was at stage 2.

I had to go to the ER because it got to the point where I couldn't move my right arm. This is of great concern to me and my friends and family who grew up here on these waters and lands hunting, fishing and swimming.

Seeing this makes me think its far from safe to be in the water or even eat what comes out of it.

Comments

Stuart Saine

I am sorry to hear that this happened to you. When are we going to demand a change. When are we as a people, as one voice, say that we have had enough. When will people realize what has been done to our precious earth is intolerable. I'm afraid its when its too late....like your situation. When something that has always been there has been taken away from us. Unfortunately, as a society, people won't raise a fuss until they are inconvenienced...take their water away, tell them they can't use land that was once there for them, tell them the air is toxic and they can't go outside. We need to wake up, there needs to be a global awakening, that we are killing our planet slowly, and thus choking off the life blood that allows us to live day in and day out. We need to get back to basic living. We don't need DuPonts, Monsantos, Walmarts, and other big companies telling us what is "best" for our survival. We have all we need from the earth if we just care for it and protect it. Again, I am sorry that this has happened to you and I hope that you recover quickly and get well.

July 29, 2013, 2:48 PM
John Benish

Sign the two petitions that are going around, to send this filthy water back down the everglades, where mother nature can cleanse it.

July 29, 2013, 4:01 PM
Sue-An Caruso

Lake Okeechobee water needs to be sent south through its natural filtering system through the everglades, which is one of the many wonders of the world. Discharging Lake O water to the east and west is only killing off the fishing industry and killing our pelicans and manatees - a federal offense to even touch, let alone harm! Please do something now before there is irreversible damage.

July 29, 2013, 5:08 PM
Christian Raymond-Byrum

That's horrible. I've never seen crap like this. I used to swim everyday in the local rivers around PSL.

July 29, 2013, 6:31 PM
Becky Diefendorf

stop this now

July 29, 2013, 7:03 PM
Jason Davis (Jensen Beach)

www.facebook.com/epa

I've been harassing them non stop for months but i sure could use the help. we're getting the shaft here people and you can thank ACOE & Rick Scott as well. He seems to think that we're all stupid and his exact words were "it's out of my hands" and "it's a federal issue"...total BS by the way. When did it become ok to kill endangered species (manatee) in protected waters? Charlie Crist was in the process of buying 100,000 acres south of the lake to try and fix this problem.....guess who stopped that the second they stepped into office?

July 29, 2013, 7:10 PM
Carlos Frade

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is really horrific that People have to suffer like this. What is it doing to our Marine life . what is it doing to all the animals that live by the lake .what is our government, mayors, congressman, going to do about this maybe they need to build the dikes bigger and figure out how Lake Okeechobee can accommodate the overflow of water. Maybe they need to build a flirtations system so that all that crap doesn't get into our waters. This never should have happened. Someone needs to call the EPA and get investigation going this is ridiculous and stupid

July 29, 2013, 7:10 PM
Vince Grindle

Thank you all for sharing and helping spread the word I've lived in this area almost all my life and basically grew up in the water I fished everyday till I was 17 it's really depressing to go to places and see this I am healing but not as well as I was hoping no telling how long I will have the scars on my body from this pictured is only my left and right arms but my whole body was affected by this please help to share and make known what is happening here and on the other side if our state as well thank you

July 29, 2013, 8:14 PM
Laura

WHEN you GET OFF THE INTERNET AND KNOCK ON SOME DOORS!!!!!

July 29, 2013, 8:28 PM
Ryan Paget

This has got to STOP immediately why do we think we can do as we please with our ecosystem that we rely on to live and kill innocent plants and animals?? Let alone infect citizens with bacteria ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

July 29, 2013, 8:32 PM
Missingdigit

3 years ago I had to have my middle finger amputated after fishing in the Indian River. My finger swelled four times it's size. This is nothing new, I hope things are done to save us and our environment.

July 29, 2013, 8:36 PM
Tony

Jason, it is a federal matter. Obama is the one that could stop it. Feds wanted to screw Castro, built sugar farms in Florida so we wouldn't buy it from him. This is not a new problem, but extra rain this year makes it worse. Sign another petition, that'll fix it.

July 29, 2013, 9:34 PM
Rick DeTata

They are killing our waterways, the St Lucie estuary and the Indian River Lagoon are two of the most ecological sensitive waterways in the country and they are dying!! We need to get the politicians out of the pockets of Agriculture and Big Sugar! The St Lucie inlet which is usually Emerald green is not brown, IT'S BLACK!! The ocean water is black as far as the eye can see, I took my boat out and couldn't find a color change! There is no bait in the water, which should be loaded with glass minnows thus time of the year..

July 29, 2013, 10:27 PM
Leslea Doyle

If we humans are supposed to be the smarter species wby do we keep releasing massive amouts of bad water from the locks which keeps killing the dolphins, manatees, fish and wildlife..Cant the water by treated before being released???

July 29, 2013, 11:02 PM
darryl

I am, as I type this, going through the same diagnosis and symptons. The swelling, irritation, red orange peel looking skin and stiffness. I have been prescribed prednisone, and two others for the itchy and infection. I did not get this from water, but a major case of poison ivy! My face was swollen and eyes shut. Went to the hospital twice.

July 30, 2013, 7:34 AM
Brian ford

Vince would you be willing to go on camera for CBS 12

July 30, 2013, 7:56 AM
Russell

Every body who reads this story should sign this petition. It is the first step to getting our voices heard.

July 30, 2013, 8:57 AM
Mimmo Giambanco

Stop killing our waterways, the St Lucie estuary and the Indian River Lagoon

July 30, 2013, 9:50 AM
Linn

Get well soon!! This is despicable! Please everyone, sign the petitions! This is absolutely the saddest thing....our beautiful waterways are disappearing along with the beautiful wildlife that rely on them. Please get your voices heard!!!!! Thank you.

July 30, 2013, 1:25 PM
Geoff Moore

We talked a little bit about this subject today. I can't believe that this kind of thing is happening and affecting wildlife and people. Stuart S. and John B. are right - the only ones that can change this is YOU. Pass along to your friends and family and make people aware.

We'll keep bringing it up from time to time because it matters to us and YOU.

July 30, 2013, 1:41 PM
Carolyn keene

The pollution will only stop when we citizens insist it does and have severe consequences for individuals, companies and government who pollute! Citizens get vocal!

July 30, 2013, 10:43 PM
Robert Kelly

Dang man thats something. I hope you get better soon. Ill see you in a few months man

July 31, 2013, 1:30 AM
Nancy Schanne

I was just vacationing on Madeir BEach in July 2013. After spending several hours hanging out on a sandbar with friends and family I woke up the next day with large blisters on both hands...I was diagnosed with cellulitis. I am on my second round on antibiotics to try and clear it up. I grew up and in Florida and this makes me very sad!! Not only for humans but for the wildlife trying to survive in the environment we are creating...

July 31, 2013, 6:52 AM
Marty Baum Indian Riverkeeper

Vince, thanks for sharing Brother. I wish more would step forward. There is a peaceful protest out a Phipps Park Saturday, here's the link to the event Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/513371885399065/ Here's my Indian Riverkeeper Facebook page link; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Indian-Riverkeeper/181216961933016?ref=hl Hope to see you there.

Marty Baum

Indian Riverkeeper

DEMAND CLEAN WATER

July 31, 2013, 8:31 AM
Jackie Yazzie

Hey Vince, I worked with you last year, I can't believe this happened to you! Definitely scary stuff... hope you are getting better quickly!

July 31, 2013, 9:00 AM
Ric

I wade fish in front of my property all the time 2 years ago I came down with an infection that looks exactly the same as what you are dealing with on my leg at my knee. Several trips to the Doctor later and every 7 or so months later it reappears. I guess I'm done with wading in the IR.

Good luck,