Brevard Deputies save victim from burning home
Early yesterday morning, East Precinct Deputies Jesse Doucette, Ben Fischer and Robert Bennett
responded to Lynne Dr. Merritt Island, reference a residential fire.
Deputy Doucette was the first to arrive and as he exited his patrol car, he heard bystanders
yelling, “She’s still in there!” Deputy Doucette ran to the home as the fire was quickly spreading
and was able to see a female inside slumped over in a wheel chair. Deputy Doucette entered the
home and crawled through the heat and smoke, making his way to the unconscious victim. He
then dragged her to safety from the burning home where he and Deputy Ben Fisher began
lifesaving first aid efforts until fire rescue personnel arrived. The female was transported to a
local hospital for further medical care.
Unconscious dog located
While Deputy Doucette and Deputy Fisher were caring for the resident, Deputy Robert Bennett
arrived on-scene and began looking for any other occupants. He located a dog lying inside the
home and was able to crawl to the unconscious dog, drag it from the home. He utilized an
oxygen tank provided by fire rescue to provide aid until the dog started breathing again. A
second dog exited the home on its own and appeared to be uninjured. Brevard County Sheriff’s
Office Animal Control responded to the scene and treated the pets for smoke inhalation. The
dogs were taken for safekeeping while the resident recovers.
Fire rescue personnel who responded to the scene stated there is no doubt that the quick actions
of the deputies saved the lives of the woman’s and her pets.
It is believed that the fire was likely the cause of a faulty space heater in one of the bedrooms.
Deputy Doucette has proudly served our citizens for 3 years, Deputy Fischer also for 3 years and
Deputy Bennett for 6 years.
Sheriff Wayne Ivey stated, “I am extremely proud of Deputies Doucette, Fischer and Bennett for
their incredible service to our community! Because of their abilities, professionalism and
passion, a victim and her pets lives were saved! I would also like to thank our incredible partners
at Brevard County Fire Rescue for their live saving service!”