“Fill the Fence'”
The Port St. Lucie Police Department and a handful of local businesses have partnered together to host the inaugural “Fill the Fence'” holiday toy drive to donate to children in the community.
The fenced-in collection boxes represent the Port St. Lucie community joining together and bringing a little holiday magic to families.
Over 200 children are registered so far. Presents will be distributed during a Winter Festival party at the MidFlorida Event Center on Dec. 12 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
“With everything currently going on, there is a greater need,” said Kathy Larlee, spokesperson for GifTicket, Inc., one of the companies that has partnered with police to host the toy drive.
“There isn’t a single family that hasn’t been touched in some way this year (by the coronavirus pandemic).”
The Winter Festival where presents will be given to children is being held outside, and participants are being asked to wear face masks and use hand sanitizer, Larlee said.
There are five donation boxes across the city where residents can drop off new, unwrapped toys and that will later be distributed to children at the event.
The drop-off locations include:
- The Port St. Lucie Police Department, 121 S.W. Port St. Lucie Blvd. Building C
- MidFlorida Event Center, 9221 S.E. Event Center Place
- The Family Life Worship Center, 4311 S.W. Darwin Blvd.
- Meating Street Steak & Seafood, 10553 S.W. Meeting St.
- Casa Amigos Authentic Mexican Restaurant, 7950 S. US-1
Families can apply to partake in “Fill the Fence” online at forms.cityofpsl.com/swap, but must meet the following criteria:
- Child must be between 0 and 18 years old, must still be in high school
- Family must reside within the city limits of Port St Lucie, providing recent copy of utility bill and photo identification
- Child must be able to separate from families to participate in guided, supervised activities while gifts are being distributed to parents
- Children must be present on the distribution day
- The Port St. Lucie Police Department also is accepting monetary donations at its offices to put toward “Fill the Fence.”
- The participating organizations plan to make this an annual event.
“We are all in this together, and helping others is a good way to bring the community together,” Larlee said.
“Fill the Fence” is a partnership between Fenced In, LLC, The Front Desk Belle Concierge Services, Love Muffin’s Cupcakes, GifTicket, Inc., and Port St. Lucie Police Department.