Community

City of Fort Pierce to Unveil Historical Marker at Old Fort Park on May 4th

City of Fort Pierce to Unveil Historical Marker at Old Fort Park on May 4th

City of Fort Pierce to Unveil Historical Marker at Old Fort Park on May 4th

Join the City of Fort Pierce and the Fort Pierce Lions Club on Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 8:30AM. They will unveil the newly installed Florida Historical Marker at Old Fort Park (1001 S. Indian River Drive, Fort Pierce). In addition to the unveiling of the new marker, the ceremony will also recognize the completion of the amazing effort and collaboration of the City of Fort Pierce and the Fort Pierce Lions Club to improve, restore, and preserve the park and Ais Indian Mound.
Old Fort Park is on the National Register of Historic Places.

It received this marker to indicate historical significance as the site of an Ais Indian Burial Mound and the site of Fort Pierce, a military installation constructed by the U.S. Army in Florida with the purpose of being a main supply depot for the Army during the Second Seminole War. Fort Pierce derives its name from this historic installation. The “fort” of Fort Pierce, named for its first commander Benjamin Kendrick Pierce. It was built in 1838. Abandoned in 1842 at the end of the Second Seminole War. It burned down the following year.

The Florida Historical Marker Program recognizes historic resources, persons, and events that are significant in the areas of architecture, archaeology, Florida history, and traditional culture by promoting the placing of historic markers and plaques at sites of historical and visual interest to visitors. The purpose of the program is to increase public awareness of the rich cultural heritage of the state.

Also to enhance the enjoyment of historic sites in Florida by its citizens and tourists. This new marker at Old Fort Park provides historical narratives of the two components of historic significance at the park, and will place this historic site “on the map” for the State’s Historic Landmarks.

Fort Pierce Lions Club funded the marker. Their club has invested nearly thirty thousand dollars to further the preservation, enhancement, and upkeep of the park over the last three years. The joint efforts between the City, Lions Club, and St. Lucie County Historical Museum have earned a Florida Preservation Award. Refinished parking lot, directional signs, information kiosks, and benches ensure Archaeological best practices.

For more information, please contact the City of Fort Pierce at 772-467-3000.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply


To Top
%d bloggers like this: