MCSO WARNS OF COPPER THIEVES SCOPING OUT POTENTIAL TARGETS.
Martin County Sheriff’s Detectives are issuing a citizens BOLO (Be On The Look-Out) for copper thieves scoping out potential targets.
Thieves target businesses and vacant structures during the day, then commit their crimes at night. Vacant properties include homes in renovation, new construction, foreclosures, homes for sale and vacant rental property. Such property crimes are happening in areas across the state.
Utilize the following crime prevention precautions to avoid becoming a victim:
- Keep your exterior security cameras activated
- Let neighbors know that no one should be in the drive-way, or on the property at any time, unless you have made specific arrangements
- If you have vacant rental property, keep the curtains or shades closed and a leave an inside light on
- Call MCSO if you notice any suspicious activity
- If you have been a victim of copper or metal theft, call the Martin County Sheriff’s Office.