Photo credit : Jim Wilson
Vero Beach is a jewel of the Treasure Coast with its abundant waterways, majestic oaks and cultural wealth. The county seat of Indian River County, Vero Beach is has evolved into an elegant and very sophisticated community that has been called the “Florida Hamptons” and the “New Palm Beach” as it has become the playground of some of the wealthiest people in the world. It is the residential preference of more retired Fortune 500 CEOs than anywhere else.
A neolithic skull was discovered in 1915. It has since been misplaced but appears to represent a culture from 11 to 14,000 years ago, with 13,000 years ago as the most likely time frame.
In 1872 Captain Allen W. Estes officially established the first land patent between the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian River Lagoon
October 5th Hurricane Matthew At this time, the only pet friendly shelter opening tomorrow will be Liberty Magnet School, 6850 81st Street, Vero Beach. Registration is required to enter the pet friendly shelter. For those who have not yet registered, the Humane Society is no longer accepting applications at their offices. Please go to Liberty Magnet at 8:00 A.M. tomorrow to register.
As a reminder, the Indian River County Emergency Operations Center has established a hotline for all storm related questions. The number is (772) 226-4000. Residents are encouraged to follow Indian River County on social media for additional information and updates, on Twitter @indianrivereoc and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/IndianRiverEOC/
National Register of Historic Places
- Driftwood Inn
- Hallstrom House
- Old Indian River County Courthouse
- Judge Henry F. Gregory House
- Maher Building
- McKee Jungle Gardens
- Old Palmetto Hotel
- Pueblo Arcade
- Royal Park Arcade
- Theodore Hausmann Estate
- Old Vero Beach Community Building
- Vero Beach Diesel Power Plant
- Vero Beach Woman’s Club
- Vero Railroad Station
- Vero Theatre
- Fred Barnes, journalist, editor of The Weekly Standard and Fox News host
- Gloria Estafan,a Cuban singer, has a house and owns a hotel in Vero Beach
- Tom Fadden (1895-1980), actor
- Carl Hiaasen, journalist, novelist, and author of children’s books
- Bryan Stork, professional football player for the New England Patriots of the NFL.