Welcome to Cape Canaveral!
Photo Credit: Alan R.
Cape Canaveral is located on the Atlantic Ocean about between Miami and Jacksonville. This coastal community has 1.9 square-miles of beach and is bordered on the west by the Banana River, on the north by the Port, which is the only deep water port between Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville, bordered on the east by the Atlantic Ocean and on the south by Cocoa Beach.
After the establishment of a lighthouse in 1848, a few families moved into the area.
In 1890 a group of Harvard Alumni students established the Canaveral Harvard Club with a holding of over 18,000 acres. Their game hunts helped clear the wilderness for other settlers to move in.
In the early 1920s, a group of Orlando journalists, invested in the beach acreage that now encompasses the area of presidential-named streets in Cape Canaveral. They called their development Journalista (now Avon-by-the-Sea).
Many investors defaulted on their holdings due to the hardships caused by the Great Depression. Much of this land was recovered by newspaper owner R.B. Brossier and his son, Dickson. They sold their Orlando home and used the remaining $4,500 to purchase much of the Avon area. It was their dream that a port would be developed and a direct route to Orlando would be constructed.
The Space Program helped to grow the economy.
The workforce and the economy had grown with the space program by 1958.
The City of Cape Canaveral started in 1961.
The annual Sun and Space Festival was started in 1967.
In 2012, the city started celebrating its 50th year since incorporation. At a Heritage Day even in March 2013 part of the festivities. The official 50th anniversary date of May 16, 2013 a 50-year time capsule was sealed and a pictorial postmark of the city’s anniversary was stamped.
New 1/17 Dog Friendly Brevard